This wagon was purchased in c1900 by Mathius Mai of Feilding and used by his family as they moved from Feilding to Pohangina Valley, settling in Raumai. In 1928 the family bought their first motor car and the Mai wagon was stored in a barn. Later the wagon led parades for the Ashhurst 100 year celebrations. It was offered to the Society by the Mai family in 2004 and remains in original condition with only minor repairs in 1996. The express wagon is such a versatile carriage, suitable for seated passengers travelling to church, or when the seats are moved, very adequate for carrying any of the needs and stores of the early settler families. It was often harnessed with a single horse, or on occasion with a pole and two horses. The wagon has travelled over 5,000 kilometres on treks promoting the establishment of the Coach House Museum and has been most useful for the deck space it has for carrying the Oroua Teamsters gear.
121 South Street,