Old City Council roading block dray retired in Museum
This old Palmerston North City Council block dray was used to help tarseal city roads and fill potholes until 1952
Imagine this old block dray being pulled by horses around Palmerston North streets more than 100 years ago?
Well it was. It’s a former Palmerston North (Borough) City Council block dray that was used for roading works until 1952.
To find out more of this dray, now on display at the Coach House Museum go to link….
Traces of tar are still visible on the wood deck. Tar, a by-product from the former City Gas Works, was used extensively for road sealing and pothole repairs in the city until 1970, when bitumen became the sole binding agent.
The block dray was purchased, but not used by Ray Jessop, before being presented to the Museum by his wife in the mid-1960s.
The council horses were stabled at the council depot until 1972 in what is now Roxburgh Crescent, Palmerston North. The wood-set flooring on which the vehicle stands, comes from these stables.