This distinctive Prairie gold painted 1946 Minneapolis-Moline is a standout exhibit in the Coach House Museum, in more ways than its bright paint job.
20 HP tractor stands out in a crowd with its Prairie Gold livery.
The RTU model tractor was originally bought in 1952 by Feilding contracting businessman Grahame Guy, to replace his two working horses to work on the Guy’s 30 cow dairy farm in South Street, Feilding. The 20 HP tractor was built with distinctive two close front wheels for row-crop work.
The tractor was bought with a mower and plough for 450 pounds from Mervyn Stone of Kimbolton. It is one of two Minneapolis-Moline tractors owned by the Guys.
A close-up of the MM’s 20 HP engine.
Graham and Winifred Guy’s family had the MM fully restored by Central Tractor and Machinery Company in Palmerston North, complete with its very bright orange paint job, as part of their 60th Wedding Anniversary celebrations in 2009.
The Minneapolis-Moline Power Equipment Company (MM) was formed in 1929 by the merger of three agricultural implement companies, with their beginnings dating back to 1852.
By their peak, in 1948, Minneapolis-Moline had produced 753,623 tractors. In 1963 White Motor Corporation purchased MM, and the last tractor to carry the MM badge was built in 1974.